Sunday, July 7, 2013

Have a Cup of Coffee With Me

As you may have noticed, I've been on hiatus from posting here on Harmony and Home.  My passion still lies in interior design, architecture and blogging, but has been extended to online marketing as well.  I have started my own online marketing consulting business, called ScribeTree, and I will be posting updates on it here as well.  Keep an eye out for Scribetree.com, which will be up and running very soon.

During my hiatus, I have had many in-depth conversations with friends about life, love, integrity, respect, trust and many other very deep subjects over coffee, tea and wine.  We sit in my family room around a "soft coffee table" or ottoman which I use as a coffee table and talk for hours.  It has been bothering me for quite some time now that I do not have a hard coffee table to place items on.  Therefore, I have been searching for the ultimate cool coffee table for my family room.

Let me set the stage.  I have a large seagrass rug over dark hardwood floors.  I have a brown leather loveseat and two brown patterned fabric chairs, all Ethan Allen traditional furniture (which is not my style anymore, but new furniture is in the works).  They are all very comfortable, but I am tired of them all and eventually want to go more British Colonial in my home, as I love the vibe of Hawaii and the islands and everything that goes with that.  Joni Webb over at the Cote de Texas blog (whom so graciously answered so many questions for me when I started blogging in 2008) also has a design aesthetic that I love.

I am looking for a coffee table that is dark wood, distressed and non-typical.  Everything else is up for negotiation.  I still have all of my favorite online furniture stores bookmarked and below is what I have found so far as my favorites.  If you have any favorites that you'd like to mention or add, please leave a note.

I'm happy to be back!  I hope you all are having an awesome summer!



This is my first pick.  It's not very unique, but I love the juxtaposition of old and new, shiny and distressed, fancy and rugged.   It's made of untouched reclaimed wood with stainless legs.  This would have to be my number one pick.


This coffee table feels like electrical cables pulled tight.  I love the industriousness of it, the hardness and the modernity of it.  It is the cold against my warm wood floors and seagrass rug.  Yin and yang.





This is glass and metal, so no warm distressed feel here, but I love this table for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I haven't seen it before anywhere (and believe me, I'm always looking at furniture) and second, I love the floating quality of the two non-supported corners and how it takes up less floor space and gives the feel of a floating shelf, which always works well in small spaces (which is what my family room is).




Another Artefacto product (they have great stuff).  This table is cool for the very virtue of its multiple levels, which in itself creates interest.   This would be cool in wood too, or a mix of wood and metal.



This coffee table is another one that I absolutely love.  It is similar to Restoration Hardware's Salvaged Wood Trestle Dining Table design.  I'm a big R.H. fan, so anything in that wheelhouse appeals to me.  The stonewashed finish is a great compliment to my dark hardwood floors and this definitely looks like something that I don't mind my kids putting their feet on.





I can't tell from the photograph for sure, but this looks like a painted or stained coffee table and I love the step-down ladder feature on each side.   I'm imaging having friends over for wine and putting different appetizers on the first step and perhaps tea lights on the lower step.   I think my cat would like this table too!  :o)

Thank you for allowing me into your homes again and I look forward to reconnecting with you all!



"Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Have a wonderful day!

Becky






2 comments:

vicki archer said...

Love the first one Becky... Glad you are back on the blog and best of luck with your new venture... this sounds very exciting... xv

Liz Rose Bowman said...

I've been yearning for a new coffee table as well, I love all the wood ones most.

There was an error in this gadget