Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WIN Jan Showers Glamorous Retreats

I love surprises.  They don't come often enough.  When I walk to my mailbox and have a package inside or when I open the door to find my neighbor with her coffee cup in hand... these are the types of moments that make life worth living.

Then, there are the special surprises that come even more infrequently.  Last week I received one such surprise in the form of an email asking me to write a post on Jan Showers new book titled Glamorous Retreats.  It is a beautiful book with gorgeous interiors and photography and one that I want to add to my library.

I immediately said, "YES!", but with one caveat!  I asked if I could have one of her gorgeous hardcover books to give away to one of my readers!


So... One of my lucky readers is going to
win a copy of her book!


All you need to do is comment on the post and you will be entered to win!
(Good Luck!)
(Winner will be chosen through an automated random drawing method)




You may have heard of Jan Showers (wink wink), as she is one of the world's most popular interior designers with a flair toward chic, sophisticated and unique - characteristics that I require when designing a room.

Jan isn't your boring, typical interior designer.  No way.  She empowers the ability to mix "glam" and comfort in the same room.  This is not an easy task and definitely not for the faint of heart.

It will come as no surprise then, that her new book, Glamorous Retreats, is chock full of examples of rooms that she has designed over the years with this same design aesthetic.




The ultra-chic Jan Showers


When I asked Jan about her new book, she was kind enough to send me a beautiful note and said , "[The book] took (not including the work I did on the houses over a 10-year period), a year of traveling and photographing the projects you see in the book and then another 6 months to write and edit.  It was a true adventure!"

Jan Showers is also the author of the bestselling book, Glamorous Rooms (Abrams), which features a compilation of her work over the past 25 years.  It is currently in its fourth printing.






Jan also noted "The reason I wanted to write another book is simple - I wanted to showcase the range of design and decorating style that we do.  That fact there is such a variety, will appeal to many people who love interior design.  They will also enjoy reading and seeing images of the locales as well as the people who live in and enjoy their retreats."







Nantucket House



Jan achieves her glamorous/comfortable look by combining a variety of periods and styles, as in the case of this dining room with a Louis XVI style table from the 1940's, combined with Coco chairs upholstered in faux patent leather with raffia backs.   This combination is right on target for glam/comfort!  Drama is enhanced with the beautiful Elizabeth Chandelier.



Florida Sunroom

Jan  used 1960's vintage rattan furniture in this Florida sunroom to create a retro-inspired look.  The chairs and sofa are upholstered in Lulu DK Porcupine to complete the retro look.  Jan not only has a thriving interior design business, but is well known for her antiques business as well.



W Dallas Victory Hotel and Residences

With a view as beautiful as this and floor to ceiling windows to take it all in, who could resist over-dramatizing the space?  Jan designed it just right with a lucite game table and understated chairs by Opera One by Pierantonio Bonacin. 





Luxe Lodge

This romantic bedroom in a Bachelor Gulch, Colorado home features a bed draped in Italian voile from Clarence House, selenite lamps, and Claudette x-frame benches with merisier (French word for cherrywood or wild cherry tree) wood bases topped with white cowhide.  Silk draperies flank Conrad shades on the window.  The wall treatment adds more dimension to the room and gives it an old world feel.



Toronto Sculture Garden

I won't give away the name of the owners of this beautiful property and the sculptures on it.  You'll have to read Jan's book to find that out, but this is just a taste of the incredible talent that this sculptor has.


Beaver Creek Home

A late 1930's French game table paired with chairs with very linear lines provide a great contrast to the nature outside.  Vintage amber glass is used in the space to emulate the colors of the earth and nature.



Living/Dining Room - Harbor Island Home

This living/dining room combo finds it's ease and comfort in the selection of furniture.  Easy bamboo-inspired dining room table with cane-back chairs, a beachy striped rug and a vintage Hollywood Regency coffee table all say glamorous and comfortable - thank you very much.  A John B. Gynell black and white print on the wall finishes the look and adds an air of sophistication.  My favorites in the room have to be the blue gourd lamps and that fabulous chandelier!

Jan told me, "The book will take you from coast-to-coast in the U.S. with the addition of one project in Canada and another in the Bahamas (Harbour Island).  There are beach houses done on smaller budgets and an entire 29th floor at the W residence in Dallas that was purchased for entertaining.  The reader will not be bored!"

I will have to concur with Jan.  The reader will most definitely not be bored!

If you would like the opportunity to win Jan Shower's Glamorous Retreats, please leave a comment below!  One winner will be chosen on Friday, October 4th, 2013 (by an automated random drawing method).  If you do not have a blog link, then please leave your email so we may contact you if you are the winner!

Good luck to everyone and have a wonderful weekend!!!

Becky

p.s.  The book can be purchased here starting on October 8, 2013.

p.s.s.  If you would like to receive my blog, just enter your email in the space at the top right!








11 comments:

sydney85 said...

Love, love Jan Showers style. Absolutely the best designer. I am a huge fan of hers.

Karena Albert said...

Dear Rebecca I love Jan Showers and yes I would love to read and keep her new book in my designer book group!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kim Dushinski said...

What beautiful pictures. I am not a designer and until now was unfamiliar with Jan Showers work. I'm in the loop now though!

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

Gorgeous images, Rebecca! I lvoe Jan's work and own her other book. She is a design and business genius!
Happy Monday.
Teresa
xoxo

Linen Towel Giveaway!

john jay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa P said...

Love the new design book and your blog!!

for the love of a house said...

hi Becky, How are you?! We've been through Grand Lake! Was it affected by the recent (tragic) flooding in the area? That is so, so sad.
Jan's new book looks great, how fun to get a sneak peek!
joan

calikellyr said...

The cover alone makes me want to jump in the book and take a peek! Kelly

sd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Geralin Thomas said...

I'm a Jan-Fan and with winter coming up, I'd put this book to good use. She's an inspiration.

K. Borger said...

I had the rare opportunity to meet Jan Showers at her book signing today. I love both of her books, and she is truly a beautiful person!

Share It